July 12th: Visiting Paradise

Today was SUCH a WONDERFUL day! It was my first day where I’ve started to feel a bit better and carrying Andrew doesn’t seem like I’m carrying a 50 lb weight. We did 2 really fun things today. First, we went to a water park. It was both different, and similar to our waterparks. It was different in that there were 2 pools. One was chlorinated and the other was freshwater from volcanic water. It was FREEZING! I didn’t go into it, since I’m still under the weather. Francisco and Lupe both cringed the first few minutes in the water. Our 18 month old nephew even went in, but was so cold. There was a really sweet family next to us spending the day at the park. They brought food along and they even shared it with us. It was a cooked, room temperature fish on top of a crispy tortilla. The eyeball staring right at me. Luckily neither Francisco nor his sister Lupe wanted to eat it either. I felt bad when we threw it away. What a sweet and generous family. The stereotype about Mexicans is so true! They are so warm and generous! Our second stop of the day was to Francisco’s second mom (again, they refer to her as “Mama Teodulpha”). We took a taxi and they charged us double! Lupe complained about it to the driver and later told me it’s because he was driving a “gringa.”

Anyway, this edition today is called “Paradise” because that’s how I feel about his aunt’s house. It’s not luxurious in any sense, but I absolutely love it there! There are kids (they are considered her to by my nieces and nephews) running around, laughing, screaming and playing. I just love them. And it’s true what they say about people who are good to your kids. You just can’t help but love him. They are so sweet to Andrew. Especially little Marianna. She loves to tickle him and get him to smile. Andrew loves her most, I think. Mama Teodulfa spoils everyone! Her food is incredible and she has such a sweet and kind spirit! And I feel we are kindred spirits in that neither of us can hear very well. Unfortunately, her hearing loss is permanent. When her daughter was here she told me about how much everyone loves her and is dependent on her. She said that she makes EVERYONE’S lunch every day for them. She has such joy in doing this. I want to be a woman like this! She is so delightful! As is everyone in that home. Her kitchen and patio are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. They are covered, but open to the outside. She is so clean and it’s just so peaceful there. We are planning to stop in again this week and bring MY mama’s special cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment